Friday, March 11, 2011

Step Up To The Call

I am sure you know by now about the earthquake in Japan. It's devastating and it's such a tragedy. Ever since I heard the news about the devastating earthquake in Japan, I have felt such a huge and immense amount of heartbreak and sadness. When I think of the darkness and the struggle that millions of humans are going through right now, I can’t help but start to reflect on my own life. Earlier today, I was outside looking up at the clear blue skies and I realized just how lucky I was in that moment. There are so many people right now whose skies are not blue or clear and are experiencing volatile and turbulent weather. They are struggling to survive. And here I sit in good health, in good spirits and in good weather. It all seems to unfair to me. When bad things like this happen, it shakes me to my core because sometimes my heart just hurts so much for others who are less well off than I am. I find myself praying for these people and asking God to please protect them and help them and send them some type of comfort and hope. And that is because in their time of need and their darkest hour, to have no hope is the worst type of misery.  There are children who are now lost, scared and all alone in this world. There are families separated and devastated by grief and pain. There are millions without homes, without water, without the basic needs to stay alive. They have lost all hope and all courage to cope. They have nothing. And here I sit with clothes on my back, food in my belly, in overall good health and money in my bank account. And yet I find myself complaining about the things I don’t have or the weather and how it is not what I want it to be. What is my problem? What else do I need in this life? I have far more than many others do in the present moment and they would simply love to have a small portion of the good fortune and the good blessings I have been granted. Why do I and we as people take all that we have for granted? Why are we constantly dissatisfied with what we don’t have instead of being grateful for all we do have? It is such a shame that human nature is for us to take everything we have for granted and instead want more and complain about what we don’t have. You and I have it so lucky if we are healthy, well fed, clothed and have a house to go home to at night. And if we have good relationships and friendships with others we can share our thoughts and feelings with, what more could we ever ask for? It is like we are never satisfied with what we have. We want more, more, more and don’t take time to appreciate what we already have. I am not saying we can’t strive for more and to achieve our goals we have set but let’s not lose focus of how blessed we are. I am sitting pretty myself. I have it pretty good compared to many of my fellow citizens and I feel so disappointed in myself and so ashamed that it takes a national tragedy like what happened in Japan for me to pause for a minute and reflect and say my life is good. My life is blessed and I have far more than others, far more than I deserve to be honest. I am a very blessed person. I should sit back and realize that and stop complaining and bitching about what I don’t have because what I do have is far more than many do. Yes others may have more than me but who cares? I have what I need and I am not in despair. And hopefully I can remember all this for longer than a minute until the next awful and horrendous tragedy happens. I sincerely pray for all those affected by this tragedy and wish nothing but peace, comfort and hope for all of the victims and their families. When I think about the children who are suffering all alone and scared, it breaks my heart. I can hardly take the devastation of knowing how much they are suffering. And for all the people who are struggling, whether it is in Japan or some other part of the world, I simply pause and bow my head and say a prayer. Dear God, please help the children who are lost, suffering and alone. Help them find some light in this world. Please help them know that they are not alone and that there is hope. Please help the families who are separated, struggling to find each other, or grieving the loss and who have the incredible sense of mourning.  Let them know that they are not forgotten and that there is still hope. Guide them into the light. Please help me to never forget how blessed I am and how undeserving of all that I truly am. Thank you for bestowing me with such incredible health and safety and never let me take it for granted again. And above all else God, please help us all help each other. Let us help our fellow man in times of joy and sorrow and in times of darkness and in times of light. Let us give hope to the hopeless and help to the helpless and never forget that we are all in this together but please don’t let it take tragedies to bring us together. We should be doing everything we can to help no matter whether it’s a tragic situation or not. And let’s not forget that people suffer every day all over the world. And many times, it never reaches the national media with the cameras and the newscasters reporting the atrocity against man. Let us never forget every single person who suffers for a moment on this earth. God help us all. Amen.  We were put on this earth for that purpose. Life is tough but when we all come together, it makes it a little easier to deal. And even if all you give is prayer or good thoughts, remember that anything helps in times of despair. To sit back and do nothing is the only way we fail our fellow brethren. After all, no matter where we live or what nationality we are, at the heart of the matter we all belong to the same race: the human race. So don’t sit there in your easy chair and say yeah it’s a tragedy and a shame but it’s over there and I am over here and there is nothing I can do. No matter what your excuse may be to do nothing, an excuse is all it is. And stop making excuses and start making a change. If we all band together, we can heal the world. In the words of Michael Jackson, we are the world, we are the children, we are the ones to make a brighter day so let's start giving. Let's follow his vision and let's start giving. Let’s come to our fellow brothers’ and sisters’ aide. We can do it. It is our duty as humans. It is our purpose as people. It is our responsibility as citizens. Join with me and join the cause. Please text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate to the Red Cross effort to aide Japan. Every little bit helps.

Until next time
Never forget how blessed how we are as people and how fast it can all be gone.
In honor of everyone who is struggling in this moment with any issue they may have
I am praying for you and I promise you are not alone
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment