Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Overcoming My Own Limitations

So here I am once again guys? Did you miss me and my longwinded, wordy ramblings? Of course you did. How could you not? Considering I am the most fascinating blogger in the history of mankind. Yeah, I got a little carried away there. Sorry. I am just feeling on top of the world in this moment because you see, I have done something that I never thought I would do. I always kept putting off saying I'd do it later and then when later came and went, I would be like what's the point anyway. It's not like I can do it. And so I wouldn't. Then I would feel bad because of how much I wanted to but didn't have the guts or the motivation to truly put forth the effort it required. What am I talking about? I'm talking about writing a play. I never thought I would see me finish one. I used to tell myself that I would love to write one and I would love to see characters I wrote up on stage one day but deep down I never believed in myself. I never truly thought I could do it. I said the words but words are empty if you think about it. What do words really mean? It's the action that matters and my action was to do NOTHING. I used to dream and hope and wish but I never just did. But about eleven weeks ago, I sat down and started writing. Well, I take that back. More specifically, that's when the fire in my belly totally engulfed me and overtook me. I had to write down this story that these characters were telling and showing to me. I was simply the messenger. And I sat and wrote. And now, a little over eleven weeks later, here I sit with the knowledge that I have written a full length play. I have done it. Me. I overcame my own doubt and fear to do something I thought I never could do. Never and can't. Two horrible words. Words that hold you back and keep you from all these wonderful and amazing things. I kept saying to myself I would love write a play but I can't. I'll never be able to finish this is what I always would say if I did happen to start off on a play. But I climbed over all the negative obstacles and the darkness to stand on top of the moutain in the bright sunlight basking in the joy of doing something I didn't think I could do. My confidence and strength has reached an all time high as I am walking in the clouds. I now know and believe that I can. I can do anything. If I am determined enough to see a goal through the end, I can. I will. I no longer set limits on myself by saying I can't or never. I wrote a play and no matter how awful or good it may turn out being, the point is I did it. I didn't stop and I just kept climbing to the top no matter what. And that sense of accomplishment is worth more than all the money in the world. I'm grateful for the challenge writing this play brought me and how it made me change myself and the way I did things in my life. I no longer look at limitations and think it can't be done. I look at them and think what can I do to make it happen. I don't just walk away. I didn't stop whenever I first started writing because it sucked. I don't know if it sucked or not. I just kept writing until it felt completed. Then I went back and polished it up. And now, I know it isn't perfect but it's my baby. And it's such a thrill to have done something so awesome. I can't wait to write another one.

Until next time
Keep the faith
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment