Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Catching Up

Hey everybody,

I'm baaaaaaaccccck. Did you miss me? I'm sure you did and are now jumping up and down on your couch in your very own Tom Cruise moment of exhiliaration at my return to blogging. Sorry, I've been MIA. For somebody who loves writing as much as I do, you'd think I could keep up with this blog better. But, life has simply gotten in the way. Well, that's not true. I just have gotten in my own way and made the excuse that life has gotten in the way. And it's not that I have had nothing to say. Trust me, anybody who knows me can attest, I always have plenty to say. That's not the issue. I just haven't felt motivated and had no desire to write this blog. I have been writing though because I'm a writer. It's what I do. It's as much a part of me as the air I breathe. But it's been writing more poems, more plays and I've added something new to my repertoire-song lyrics. If only I were a musician, I could have some songs composed by now but since I am not, I have to settle for being a lyricist. Oh well, I guess I can't be everything lol. This new venture of writing for me is awesome because now I feel I can actually take the step and actually write a musical, which is something I've longed dreamed of doing but never had the confidence to actually try. Not any longer though. Now I believe I can and so I will try. Will I fail? Who the hell knows, but I'll never know unless I try.

So, what else have I been up to lately besides writing? Well, since you asked, I have found myself doing something I never really thought I'd do. I have become heavily involved in politics. Growing up, I always thought the most boring thing in the world was politics, but then again I also thought I was a Republican so that shows how much I knew when I was younger. So now that I have grown up and evolved, I realize just how much politics isn't boring and how much passion I have for it. I have been grassrooting for President Obama's re-election campaign since the early fall and that has been going pretty rough to be perfectly honest but it's not surprising at all. Let's consider the climate I live in. I live smack dab in the middle of republican country Indiana. I am literally almost the only Democrat I know in about a thirty mile radius (hyperbolic sure but you get the picture). I haven't got a lot of success but that's okay. It's not really about the money I end up fundraising to help ensure the best candidate for the oval office gets re-elected in November. It's about the fact that I am taking a chance and becoming involved and getting active in things I am passionate about. That's a HUGE statement for me because I used to always stand back in the shadows and stay silent for fear of being noticed and having my voice heard. I used to be so damn afraid of my convictions and how I felt that I would just let other people drown me out. Now, I don't stand on the sidelines. I don't let others drown me out. I refuse to stand back in the shadows and not be heard. I am letting my voice be heard and standing up for what I believe in. Some people agree with me. Some people don't. But I am not afraid of differing opinions or putting myself out there only to be rejected or ostracized even. That is something that five years ago would not have ever have happened. Shows such tremendous growth and courage on my part. I am so proud of myself for that.

Besides becoming more active politically, I am also more actively involved in another passion of mine, charitable causes. I have always had a passion for helping other people no matter how small it may have seemed. And now I have started to get out and become involved in the community. Whether it's donating blood or volunteering at Relay For Life and most recently, building for Habitat for Humanity, it's such a privilege for me to be a part of something that helps fellow citizens. I truly believe that we as human beings have a responsibililty to help each other out in any way we can. I believe for me personally that this is my purpose and calling in life (besides writing). I just volunteered to spend two days down in New Orleans with the St. Bernard Project to help build a home for people who have been without adequate housing since Hurricane Katrina. I can't help but feel excited about the chance to do this type of work, even if I have never really done too much building. With Habitat for Humanity, it's been more advocacy and monetary donations-not hands on. But I look forward to that experience and giving hope and help to a few people who have been living in hopelessness and helplessness for far too long.

And with that, I will close this blog out. I wish you all much peace and much love until the next time.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment